Head of Computational Biology - Malta
Data Science and Computational Biology are key components in Omniscope’s approach to reading the immune system to sense, diagnose and monitor diseases. We are looking for a highly motivated scientist that leads our effort to decipher the immune code by converging immunology, genomics, and machine learning approaches. Our mission to leverage immune cells as a universal diagnostic tool will be transformative for health care, and we would be delighted if you join our exciting journey. Successful candidates have a strong background in computational biology, statistics and machine learning, as well as a good understanding of immunology.
Omniscope generates deep profiles of T-cell and B-cell receptor repertoires for a high-resolution profile of immune specificities and dynamics in clinical areas, such as infection, vaccination as well as cell- and immunotherapy in cancer. The Head of Computational Biology will be part of the R&D leadership team, developing computational frameworks for the profiling, interpretation and functional prediction of the immune code. He/she will lead the Computational Biology team, strategically guide our translational, and clinical projects and develop novel innovative tools jointly with our technologists. Deep knowledge of genomics technologies, machine learning, statistical theory, and programming is essential for this role.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide strong mentorship, strategic leadership and technical expertise in computational biology.
- Lead a team of computational scientists responsible for applying bioinformatics, statistics and modelling for data interpretation in the context of the immune system.
- Coordinate analysis and interpretation of large-scale collaborative project with translational and clinical/pharma partners.
- Lead the development and implementation of computational methods and frameworks for the analysis of high- throughput NGS data, including single-cell transcriptome and TCR/BCR sequencing approaches.
- Apply and develop new tools for the integrative analysis and visualization of large datasets in systems immunology.
- Guide R&D strategies to enable rapid progression in our understanding of the immune code.
- Ensure proper documentation of code, workflows, reports and analyses of the computational biology team.
- Regular communication on research activities to colleagues and collaborators at all levels and across disciplines.
- Influence study design with scientists and engineers for appropriately powered and properly controlled to meet experimental and translational objectives.
- PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Computer Science with 4+ years of experience in academia or biotech/pharma industry.
- A proven computational biologist or bioinformatician with research experience in translational science (preferably in immunology).
- Strong background in biology/immunology or/and translational research with strong statistical and quantitative data analysis skills.
- Experience in developing bioinformatics workflows for NGS-based data and assays.
- Proven ability to develop new tools for the integrative analysis of multi-dimensional datasets.
- Strength in data management and visualization.
- Familiarity with the major public sources of transcriptomic and genomic data.
- Experience with clinical patient data and biomarker collection plans.
- Experience supervising/managing a team of scientists and coordinating collaborative projects.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and presentation communication skills.
- Communicating a clear vision and motivating teams to achieve goals.
- Inspirational thought leader who can motivate, act with sense of urgency, and create excitement around the application of computational biology to immunology.
- Strong scientific background and publication record with proven high levels of performance.
Location and travel
- Remote / Malta based.
- No travel required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Omniscope values and implements the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. We are therefore an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. For that reason, we promote candidates to upload their CVs blind and not include any personal details that refer to the applicant's gender, age, or ethnicity.
Further, Omniscope believes strongly in a whole systems approach to both technology and society. We therefore strongly encourage applications from any candidates with a passion for developing and bringing innovative solutions to patients. Omniscope also believes in rewarding employee performance with equity.
To apply for this job please send us an email with your CV and Motivation Letter. Please put in the email subject the job position you are applying to. Email us